July 14, 2009

How did she do?

Tuesday: 30 minutes cardio, stretching
Thursday: 90 minutes heavy gardening
Saturday: 3 hours heavy and moderate gardening
Sunday: 45 minutes moderate gardening

Tuesday, watching all the people flowing in to the YMCA in their work clothes, I was thinking that modern society had created a strange dichotomy.  We work all day, 8 hours or more, and then we have to actively go somewhere to use our muscles.  And then Thursday, as I was digging grass out of the front bed, panting and straining, I realized that I like it better when my life generates my exercise.  At the end of the hour and a half of heavy labor, I had a strong heartbeat, pleasantly sore muscles, and a clean flower bed.  There's a very different sense of accomplishment at the end of an actual project.  So, I'm going to keep looking for those opportunities and keep giving myself credit for them in my exercise plan.

1 comment:

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

awesome!! I'm with you on the gardening and housework as my exercise "plan" I figure that lifting my kids all the time counts as my weight training. : )