June 21, 2007

Incentive to Get to the Gym

Last weekend I decided I needed a more summer-y yarn project. It's Florida in June, over 90 degrees and 90% humidity. I've lost just a bit of enthusiasm for working on my magic scarf, and even the socks feel wrong. Who wears socks in this weather? Certainly not me. So, I got out Sexy Little Knits and picked out the bandeau bikini. (Far right on the third row of pictures, if you follow that link.) It is a little daring, but not so outrageous that I didn't think I could wear it.

It's crochet rather than knit, and I've enjoyed going back to my roots for a bit. The Cascade Fixation yarn is pleasant to work with, the speed of crochet is fun, and quite frankly it seems I was really ready to start a new project. I've been cruising along and making significant progress. And then I got far enough along that I could see the lines of the bottom. Uhm... This might not be something I could be comfortable wearing after all. So, I got out my current bikini bottom to compare...

It's not the height that matters; I'm not done with the rows or the waistband yet. But, look at how much more dramatic the cut is. I know it's less than half an inch or so, but when you consider how much of my rear already shows in a bikini - the droopy part... And what you can't see in the photo is that there is alot more give in the commercial bottom than in the one I'm crocheting. So, it actually covers alot more on my body than this one will...

I don't know about this. I'm fairly comfortable in my body, but my toosh is one area that I wish would improve. And my time at the Y doesn't seem to do all that much for my glutes. They just don't want to cooperate. Do I finish it and see? Or do I rip it back, save the yarn for the socks I originally intended them for and avoid wasting hours more of my life? Crochet may be faster, but it's not that fast. (And this does require a tiny little hook. The one I use with thread for making doilies!)

Or maybe I come up with a back up plan. Finish it, try it on, and then decide whether to add edging that would expand the coverage a bit. Maybe I could modify the pattern that will be used in the waist band to get myself a bit more yarn on the sides...

No comments: