November 02, 2008

Halloween Recap

I'm catching my breath today. This week was a busy one anyway, but then you add two Halloween parties in to the mix and wow. You would think Halloween would be a take it or leave it holiday for a childless couple in their 30s. We, however, have a standing invitation to spend Halloween with one of our favorite kids, and Alex's role as a trick or treating chaperon is very important. (If we're being entirely honest, my presence is purely optional. He's too well-mannered a child to ever, ever admit that, though.) There is absolutely nothing like spending Halloween with children at that perfect age where it is all great fun and none of it is scary. His teen years will be here before we know it, and I'm sure the Halloween parties will be different. And I rather doubt we'll be invited. So, unless we happen to be in Europe for Halloween (like last year), we'll be spending it with our friend while we can.

And then Saturday night was the grown up Halloween party. Its been years since I attended a party of adults in costume with the wine flowing. We had a great time and I'm still chuckling over some of the costumes. My favorite was the "one night stand." She had a fabric night stand front (drawers, etc.) and then a lamp shade on her head. We never got a picture of mine, but up above you can see Alex in his jailbird costume. Apparently, he thinks two years is long enough to be married before you start telling the world you're doing time for the bonds of marriage. Oh, who am I kidding? He's been saying thinks like that since our wedding day. And, if I'm being honest, I'm the one who responded "right here" when someone asked him where his ball and chain were.

All in all, it was great fun, but I was particularly grateful for daylight savings this morning. Today I declared a "day off" and I've used it to do laundry, cook ahead for the week and generally start the week off on the right foot. I told my grandmother about my plan on the phone this morning, and she asked why I would declare today my day off and promptly begin discussing the mountain of laundry I plan to do. When you're used to cramming housework in between a dozen other commitments, the luxury of hours to leisurely get tasks done in is great. (And every parent who reads this blog, just threw tomatoes at the screen. I know, I know.)

1 comment:

Leciawp said...

Love your costumes!